Saturday, February 15, 2014

Day 3: When Will The Cravings Stop??

I am on day 3 of my Facebook/social media detox...well, technically I am 68 hours into my sobriety, but who's counting? I'd like to say I feel freer and cleaner and my life is better without that proverbial monkey on my back, but that would be a lie. I thought I was doing great, went out with some friends last night and didn't once "check in" or post a picture on Facebook and I believe that avoiding social media last evening really enhanced my experience of being out socially in real life with people. I totally felt like I was doing great 48 hours in...and then I got an email. From Facebook. It said something about how because I haven't logged in for a couple of days I am missing some fun things online - I have 14 notifications and 1 new private message. I have never received an email like that from Facebook before...probably because they only send it to people to aren't accessing their site. I am usually a somebody who is constantly accessing their site. It was like a drug dealer trying to entice me to get back on drugs three days into detox! I sent a text message to a friend who is acting as my "sponsor" in this little adventure of mine. He told me to hang tight, stay strong, don't give in. And that's just what I did. But it wasn't easy. I told my "sponsor" that maybe I would log into Facebook tomorrow, but not today. As the folks in recovery say, "one day at a time". I'd like to see myself go another 24 hours without accessing social media. I feel confident that if I keep at it, the cravings will lessen and I will truly feel freer and cleaner. I also feel kind of ridiculous for being this dependent on social media for love and acceptance. I always brag about how much I love spending time alone but am I ever really alone if I can get onto Facebook or Twitter with the tap of a finger? Clearly I haven't really spent a lot of time "alone" if I have been hanging out online all the time. Now I have a chance to really be alone, and get comfortable with it. Easier said than done. We'll see what lies ahead. One day at a time...